Wednesday 28 September 2011

The Drawing Room


This is the drawing room from the first dollshouse that I had ever built. The house was based on a Georgian style design by Brian Nickolls' in his book 'Making Character Dollshouses' although I have made some changes to the original design plan, and I've created a basement not included in Brian's plans. I'll post a picture of the house soon.
The drawing room is decorated in a pale eau de nile colour. The floor boards are cherry wood. I have tried to keep the furnishings and accessories as authentic to the Georgian period as possible. However, The Georgian period in Britain covered a wide number of years and styles and tastes varied over time. Early Georgian interiors were quite sparse in most ordinary homes, so I have decided to furnish my house with things that may have been in use between 1750 and 1820. The drawing room was there to impress guests, it showed off your status and wealth. Ladies would take tea in this room, and that is how I have set the room up, for a genteel afternoon tea party!
The furniture in this room has been collected from various sources, mostly from dollshouse and miniature fairs in the UK. The sofa is by John and Sue Hodgson, as are the torcheres and the framed portrait above the fireplace. The two urns are by Victoria Fasken, other pieces are from kits and Bespaq. The pole screen, which is by McQueenie Miniatures, contains a tiny embroidery I worked myself from a kit by Nicola Mascall. It took me AGES!!!

For further information on some of the designers mentioned see;
www.johnjhodgson.com
www.nicolamascallminiatures.co.uk

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What a pretty setting, Andy ! 'Eau de nile,' LOVE that! Your creativity is so inspiring. The screen is particularly special and the fact that you made it yourself is a credit to your superb talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John, It's a colour I like a lot too, and works well in this room I think. I've been lucky in finding things that fit the scheme well too. That screen was a labour of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know Andy, you have so many beautiful rooms, but I do love this one. We have chosen a very similar colour pallet, I guess it has a more feminine feel to it, thats why it appeals.

    I love the contrast of the pale colours against the richness of the Mahogany. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Fi, I like this room a lot too, I'd be happy living in it myself. Over time I plan to replace some of the cheaper furniture with craftsman made pieces, but I'm happy with what's there now too. I think it is right that drawing room would have been a feminine room, just as the library would have been very masculine. the decor of a room is often influencedby the person who will use it most.

    ReplyDelete